confuzzledbooks

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Neil Gaiman
Parting the Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
Nene Thomas, Bruce Coville
The Art of Amy Brown (Bk. 1)
Matthew(Read by) Ryan, Ilyana(Read by); Brown, Amy Kathleen?(Author) ; Kadushin
The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
Eric Maisel

On Mardi Gras Day

On Mardi Gras Day - Fatima Shaik, Floyd Cooper Author Fatima Shaik recounts her childhood days during the fun celebration of Mardi Gras Day in New Orleans.

I probably knew what most adults know about the celebration of Mardi Gras which is costumes, music, floats, beads and other things. I think what I am surprised the most about what I learned from this book is that kids can also enjoy parts of the celebration. I also learned a little history about Mardi Gras. I did not know that Native Americans were part of the history. With the Native American costumes it shouldn’t be surprising.

From images pictured in my mind and from t.v. the drawings are much more subdued than I expect for Mardi Gras. Not meaning they are not good, the illustrations are excellent it is just something with the writing and images to me did not quite match. I am not sure why I just did not get the feeling of a child with great enjoyment at an exciting holiday parade.

I enjoy the history part of the story. I appreciate this dip into the author’s childhood. It is obviously a fond memory for her but there was something a little tedious about the short childrens picture book.