confuzzledbooks

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Neil Gaiman
Parting the Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
Nene Thomas, Bruce Coville
The Art of Amy Brown (Bk. 1)
Matthew(Read by) Ryan, Ilyana(Read by); Brown, Amy Kathleen?(Author) ; Kadushin
The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
Eric Maisel

The Hope of Refuge (Ada's House Series, Book 1)

The Hope of Refuge (Ada's House Series, Book 1) - Cindy Woodsmall Cara Moore and her daughter Lori have been running from a dangerous ex-boyfriend for most of Cara's adult life. They're running out of places to hide. Their last chance could be an Amish community that Cara remembers her mother taking her to when she was young. Not knowing anyone there, Cara and Lori hide in a barn and steal clothes and food from a nearby Amish family's house. What happens next could change their lives forever.

I couldn't get into the first chapter. The girl-runs-away-from-problems-and-joins-the-Amish story has been told often (like "Sanctuary," by Beverly and David Lewis). But as I got past the first chapter there were differences, and I became more drawn into the story and the details of the community they were touching. For example, if an unmarried male Amish man lets an outsider woman live in his house or barn, he could be shunned by the community. I did not know that kind of contact with outsiders was forbidden.

I have always found the Amish to be an interesting community. And even if Amish fiction romanticizes the culture, they are still fun to read.