confuzzledbooks

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Neil Gaiman
Parting the Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
Nene Thomas, Bruce Coville
The Art of Amy Brown (Bk. 1)
Matthew(Read by) Ryan, Ilyana(Read by); Brown, Amy Kathleen?(Author) ; Kadushin
The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
Eric Maisel

The Wordy Shipmates

The Wordy Shipmates - Sarah Vowell In The Wordy Shipmates we are shown that the Puritan’s life was not Thanksgiving every day. They fought with the Indians,they fought the British and they fought with each other.

I found I liked The Wordy Shipmates near the end where she describes a trip with her niece and nephew to Boston. During a reenactment of the Puritans war against the Indians, author Sarah Vowell’s nephew, who is wincing through violent scenes, asks when do they have Thanksgiving. Vowell’s answer is 16 years earlier. I like that because I related with the boy as he learned about the history but that was only one sentence or more.

I found this a very hard read. I picked it up because I had seen Vowell on The Daily Show and I liked her sense of humor. I found myself trying to read and not understanding what I read. From other reviews it seems I picked the wrong Sarah Vowell book to start with. The fact that it had no chapters was not a good thing. It needed something to breakup what was being learned.

I wish I could have connected with the book and understood better to especially catch the humor.
As for now I will be on the lookout for Vowell’s early books. This one is going to the exchange pile.