confuzzledbooks

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Neil Gaiman
Parting the Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
Nene Thomas, Bruce Coville
The Art of Amy Brown (Bk. 1)
Matthew(Read by) Ryan, Ilyana(Read by); Brown, Amy Kathleen?(Author) ; Kadushin
The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
Eric Maisel

What the Dickens

What the Dickens - Gregory Maguire A fairy, just born, without any mother or father goes through some of life’s roller coaster in just a few days. Confused about his name (What-The-Dickens) and role in life. The fairy comes across many unique characters including another tooth fairy.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would since I have only read one other Maguire book and it was not Wicked or another in the Wicked series. What The Dickens’ story is unique and action packed. In some instances you forget the that the fairy’s story is a story within a story. The fairy’s tale is being told by Gabe a babysitter of 3 children that are stuck in the children’s home without electricity and not much food. Not much food insinuates they have been stuck within the home for days. Both stories are interesting and grab you.

With both stories, the story of Gabe babysitting and the story that Gabe is telling, are so interesting that you leave with more questions. Even though there are still some questions unanswered the stories keep the pace interesting and imaginative.

I would like to see more written on What-The-Dickens, the character. He starts as most of us do which is young, gullible, and take things literally. Gregory Maguire’s writing in this book is excellent and has me wanting to read other books by him.